Edit

(Blog is currently going through a second edit.)

by Ayako

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It's been a lot more days!

Dear Friend:

I apologize for being away. Some fun things:

1. Things have been busy.

2. The car sold for $3200 after all.

3. The Fuel Station Nearby

As advertised before, I drive a bio-beetle (nice alliteration!). There is a bio-diesel gas station close by, and it's called "Bio-Fuel Oasis." The place is fabulous. It's on the corner of Ashby and Sacramento, which is part of my "up and coming neighborhood," and they are an all women, worker-owned cooperative. First awesomeness. Then they sell farming goods inside the shop. Second awesomeness. They have organic chicken feed. Third awesomeness. And bee-keeping equipment. Fourth awesomeness. And, and... the list goes on. They have this very cool "farming in the city" book section, and as I was perusing the books there was a book called "Farm City" by Novella Carpenter. It said, "National Best Seller ... The Education of an Urban Farmer" and pictured a familiar looking women holding a kid goat in her arms.... She looked REALLY familiar, so I asked whether she was someone who was "around" at BioFuel Oasis, and it turns out she is one of their worker-owners. Awesomeness!! I promptly bought a bag of organic chicken feed and the book, along with a tank-full of bio-diesel that day. Money well spent, because I didn't feel guilty about buying anything there.

4. Shopping

I've really had a hard time this week trying to find things that I don't feel guilty eating. Most shrimp is awful for the environment these days. So is beef. So is a million other things on the menu. Oh, and don't even talk to me about shopping for anything these days! It's hard to shop if you're trying to buy local.

5. My Attachment to Knowledge

Keeping myself simple means to me that I read more books, for now. My goal is to know things the way Yoda knows things. My understanding is that there are inherent truths in the Universe. I want to know what they are. I'd not been reading books for a long period of time because I'd been in graduate school and then on three community boards. All that is shifting. Because I am simplifying my life and I only have 365 days to do it.

More later. Til then. Ta ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment