Edit

(Blog is currently going through a second edit.)

by Ayako

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Grease monkey

Got my hands dirty and took out the motorcycle battery. It should have been easy but I didn't have the right tools to squeeze in and unscrew the parts, so it took forever (about 1.5 hours) to maneuver around tight corners to take off the cover to the battery, and then the battery.

I hooked up the battery directly to the battery tender, and it seems to be charging nicely. Now I just have to monitor it and if all goes well... then I would have fixed the darn thing for free. In the past I've had the bike towed away and gotten a new battery replaced by the nice guys at the store. But I was just outsourcing my problem at the expense of my bank account. It cost a chunk of money, and it didn't make me want to sell the bike for it being such a huge hassle to maintain. From now on, I am not outsourcing my hobbies so that I can appreciate the true cost of not living simply. Ultimately, things like this cost us money or time or both. If I don't truly love or need that activity to be part of my life, I probably shouldn't have it in my life.

Sense of accomplishment for taking out the battery? Yes. Job well done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment