Edit

(Blog is currently going through a second edit.)

by Ayako

Friday, October 1, 2010

Second Day: Logic v. Emotion

I woke up this morning feeling very motivated. I immediately consulted my Oracle (the smartest person I know on this earth), for some sage advice.
I asked him: "So should I sell my car?"
Oracle / my boyfriend "Yes. You should sell your car."
Me: "Hmm. What about the fact that I need to haul stuff around town to fix my house up, or when we go camping? What will I do if I need a bigger vehicle?"
Oracle: "You can use my car."
Me: "... (When the Oracle says that I can use his stuff, I need to be very careful, since I tend to be rough with stuff and the Oracle is not. His stuff is sometimes too nice for my use. The CRV is mine and I don't care if I scratch it. He cares deeply if I scratch his car, and through the years I've learned that my using his "stuff" is not the best thing for our relationship.)"
Oracle: "How many times a year do you actually need a bigger car?"
Me: "Once or twice."
Oracle: "It would be much cheaper for you to just rent a car when you need it. How about if you do those zipcar.com type things (where you can rent a car just to get around town, but only when you really need it?)"
Me: "Hmm. That sounds like a hassle to have to rent a car, when I already could have a car."
Oracle: "..."
Me: "..."

OK, so talking to the Oracle didn't help today. The Oracle, mind you, is a genius. He can out-logic anyone and everyone I know. He is a computer science / engineering professor at a prestigious University. He was at MIT before that, and he is surrounded by world-renowned scientists. Being able to pick the Oracle's brain when making decisions in my life is the best relationship perk, ever.

I have to say that being a smart woman, I trump the Oracle in some decision making arenas. If the Oracle couldn't convince me that I should sell my car using logic, that pretty much meant to me, in the end, that getting rid of my petroleum-guzzling car was not a logical decision, because I could think of any number of logical reasons to keep the car around.

Instead, selling the car became an emotional decision for me - probably like marriage or having a baby. What did I want, ultimately? What is the big picture here, and what type of leap of faith do I need to make for me to feel good about parting with something that benefits me sometimes. The decision was ... harder than I thought it would be.

Absent any convincing logical endorsements from my scientific community (my boyfriend), in the end I decided to sell my petroleum fueled car, despite the inconvenience this may cause in my life, because it was the right thing to do. For my own sake, I myself needed to become the change that I wanted others to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment